Tuesday, January 7, 2014

I'm Diving in, I'm Going Deep!

"Dive (Deeper)"

The long awaited rains
Have fallen hard upon the thirsty ground
And carved their way to where
The wild and rushing river can be found
And like the rain
I have been carried here to where the river flows, yeah
My heart is racing and my knees are weak
As I walk to the edge
I know there is no turning back
Once my feet have left the ledge
And in the rush I hear a voice
That's telling me it's time to take the leap of faith
So here I go

I'm diving in, I'm going deep, in over my head I want to be
Caught in the rush, tossed in the flow, in over my head I want to go
The river's deep, the river's wide, the river's water is alive
So sink or swim, I'm diving in (I'm diving in...)

There is a supernatural power
In this mighty river's flow
It can bring the dead to life
And it can fill an empty soul
And give a heart the only thing
Worth living and worth dying for, yeah
But we will never know the awesome power
Of the grace of God
Until we let ourselves get swept away
Into this holy flood
So if you'll take my hand
We'll close our eyes and count to three
And take the leap of faith
Come on let's go

Steven Curtis Chapman

I just love this song by Christian artist Steven Curtis Chapman! Do you remember it?  I can't even help but sing it in my head as I type.  "'I'm diving in,  I'm going deep…"

When we arrived in Togo just about one year ago we were excited and scared all at the same time.  We have often thought of our experience as being similar to learning how to swim by jumping into the ocean.  There was no turning back, no pulling out, no stopping.  It was truly a sink or swim experience!  It sounds like such a huge risk, yet the truth is that is was a leap of faith; and our faith was in the supernatural power of almighty God!  When you look at it from this perspective there was no risk at all.  Even though we felt at times as though we were drowning in culture shock, isolation and hospital life, while we were learning to live life here in Togo, God had us secure in His ever-loving and faithfully strong arms.

So, while most of the world was making New Year's resolutions and setting goals for 2014, I was setting goals for a new year in Togo. I no longer feel as though I'm drowning.  I think I've even begun to master treading water, so now it's time to make some forward progress.  It is time to make conscious efforts to get further beyond my, and the kids, current comfort zone and beyond the borders of our compound. 

I have spent a considerable amount of time thinking and praying about this.  Hebrews 11:6 says, "Without faith it is impossible to please God."  We took a giant leap of faith when we came to Togo.  I feel like I take a leap of faith every time we wonder the paths of our compound, with eyes vigilantly scanning the ground for anything the slithers or creeps with eight eery legs!  Monday, I uncovered a huge, hairy baboon tarantula on the floor next to my bed!  Now, I feel like I am taking a leap of faith with each step in my own home. But, that is in the past.  Every day, we need to decide whether to walk by faith, or by sight.  You can't do both.  It is time to take some new leaps of faith, stepping into the lives of the people around us.  It is time dive in and go deep!

Will you pray for us as we press forward and take new leaps of faith this year?  What about you?  What new leaps of faith will you take this year?  If you're like me your heart starts beating faster just thinking about it. The discomfort, the inconvenience, the risk… but I am confident that this a where God is well pleased with us. 
So if you'll take my hand
We'll close our eyes and count to three
And take the leap of faith
Come on let's go!
I'm diving in, I'm going deep…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment