Saturday, March 9, 2013

A Visitor

On Wednesday Abigail stopped by our house.  She makes dish soap, so I had ordered some from her and she brought it to us.  I invited her in, offered her some water and asked if she wanted to sit down. She reluctantly but sweetly accepted.  Awkward moment...  I want to be hospitable and open to new friendship with Togolese women, but what to say...  I understand so little of the people around me. Their culture, living conditions, struggles, what they enjoy are all a mystery to me.  So, I tried to respectfully ask questions in order to learn more about her and make conversation.

French is a second language for us both, but the only language we can communicate in.  With limited vocabulary and different accents we both worked to converse.  I learned that she is married and has children.  Her sister-in-law left her brother and their six children, so Abigail took a few to help raise them as well.  She is a Sunday school teacher in her church, and she loves to talk about Jesus.  Jesus is our common denominator; we talked about Jesus.

  She went on to summarize the Bible for me, beginning with creation, the fall, and the promise of a Savior quoting verses from Isaiah.  She talked about the prophets and about Jesus, her Savior and Lord.  She ended with her hope that Jesus is coming back and we will all be together with Him in heaven, worshipping Jesus for eternity!  She prayed, and I prayed.  Our visit ended.

This godly friend came, and encouraged me that day.  She invited me to come and sit with her at the road side, where she sits each day selling her bread, reading her Bible and talking about Jesus with anyone willing to listen and converse with her.  I am praying for the courage and the right moment to accept her invitation.  Perhaps one day I will be able to encourage her, like she did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment