Monday, March 11, 2013

This week the West African College of Surgeons is holding a five day conference in Lomé.  So, this morning at 6 am I waved goodbye to the big red van that carried my hubby away from us for five days.  Leading up to trips like this I dread that moment.  I have been praying and worrying about this time alone with the kids, in the middle of Africa, without the loving support and protection of my husband.  Yet, as I prayed this morning God impressed upon my heart a couple of things.

 First, we have been commanded to give thanks in everything.  Everything!  Instead of dreading this week, I need to give thanks for it.  I am thankful that we have a compound filled with supportive teammates. We are not alone this week. I am thankful for the big wall that surrounds the compound.  I am thankful for our home; secure, spacious, and filled with possibilities for creativity and imagination to run free. I am thankful that I have the wonderful privilege of staying home with my kids, what a gift.  Most of all, this week I am thankful for my kids.  They are the most precious gift of all! They have energy, enthusiasm and creativity bursting from their little selves.  They are eager to learn about this huge world and even more eager to learn about the awesome God who created it.

Giving thanks totally changes ones perspective.  Instead of dreading this week, I am choosing to give thanks for it.


The second thing God impressed on my heart was not to pray to survive this week, but to pray to thrive in it.  In giving thanks, I am realizing that there are so many possibilities for this week.  Opportunities to learn, to explore, the be creative and imagine together, to make memories and to enjoy and give thanks for each other.

Will you pray for our family this week?  Pray for Eric and the others traveling to and from Lomé.  Pray that they will be a light for our Lord Jesus this week as they meet and interact with physicians from all over West Africa.  Pray that God will use this week for His glory!  Pray for me and Sam and Lizzie.  Pray that we will spend the week remembering and giving thanks for each moment and all the blessing that God has sent to go with it.  Pray that we will do more than survive; pray that we will thrive all to the glory of our creator God.

3 comments:

  1. We miss you and are praying for you all. We loved getting to know you and your family during our time in Togo. Give Lizzie and Sam a extra big hug from Aunt Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thoughts are beautiful and a great encouragement! Watch it or someday you may have a book on your hands! Love you much and praying always! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying that the Lord's presence would be tangible for you and the kids this week, Melissa and for safe travel for Eric! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete