Friday, April 5, 2013

Like A Mouse



Yesterday I drove to town again.  I went with another missionary to the bank.  I let her take care of her transaction first, while I occupied Sam and Lizzie.  As all things seem to do in Togo, it took awhile.  As I waited I could hear her ask to speak to the person in charge at the bank.  Hmm.  I wondered what was going on that she needed to speak to the “chef”.  When she was done she explained to me that there was a new guy at the bank and that he had not been very respectful.  He had been curt and had even somewhat thrown a pen to her so she could sign the necessary papers.  Well, this did not make me feel to great; I was next!  I walked up to the desk, slowly.  I stood for a minute waiting for the gentleman behind the counter to finish his work on his computer.  I felt like a mouse.  I had nothing in and of myself that could make this person treat me with respect.  I was powerless and weak.  

Before we left France my dear friend Rachael encouraged me to read a book call So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore.  Throughout the book Beth references a verse from Proverbs 31, the chapter in the Bible that describes a virtuous women.  

Proverbs 31:25:  She is clothed in Strength and Dignity.

Standing there at the bank, I felt small and weak.  Yet, at that very moment, while waiting for my turn at the bank counter, the Holy Spirit seemed to whisper this truth into my heart.  “Melissa, you are clothed with strength and dignity.”  Though I felt like a mouse, God reminded me that because of Jesus’ death on the cross and resurrection from the dead, the Holy Spirit of the living and eternal God dwells in me.  Because of Him I am clothed in strength and dignity.  Because of Him, not me.  

So, though I felt like a mouse, I stood on this truth.  I straightened my posture, I lifted my head and proceeded with what I needed to do.  The transaction went without a problem; I thanked the gentleman and wished him a good day.  

Thank you Heavenly Father for our redemption clothes that cover us with strength and dignity.  To God be the glory.

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment