Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Snakes, Malaria, Discouragement...and New Mercies


This past week has been difficult on so many levels. 

 To begin with, a little over one week ago, we found a small black slithering thing in our bedroom.  It had come after an impressive rainstorm.  We thought it was a worm.  Eric took care of it.  The following day we found another in the kitchen.  Then another was found and we decided to search the house. More were found.  We were told we needed to pack our bags and leave home for a couple days.  I was already struggling with the reality of these wormy snakey creatures, now I was being forced out of our home because of them.  I cried.  Several faithful Togolese friends came in to do a search for a nest and more creatures while I worked to pack, meanwhile calling Eric out of the hospital and trying to coral the kids, who thought it was a fun adventure.  We moved into a room at the guest house here on campus.  

Homeless

We have been in Togo for about three months now.  The “honeymoon” stage is over and our life in Togo is taking form.  We knew this stage would come.   We have talked through the emotions together, we have prayed through the discouragements, and named the mercies of God in the process.  We have also tried to be alert to the warfare of the mind as our enemy feeds us lies.  We say our thoughts out loud to each other. This helps us identify the lies and discouragements for what they are, tools of the enemy.  Yet, as we progress in this journey through the culture shock, I (Melissa) have been surprised this week at the strength it has gained in my thoughts. Satan knows when we are weak, and takes advantage where he can.  

Discouraged

Last week I began to have yet another headache.  I have had several since our arrival that have put me in bed for a couple of days each.  This time however, it seemed like more.  I was on the couch not only because my head was pounding, but because I felt so physically weak.  I took something for the pain and prayed it would pass.  Eric prayed for me too.  God was so gracious to help me through moments when I did not have a choice but to be up and moving through some responsiblilites.  Yet, the headache and the weakness continued.  This morning I finally went with the kids to the hospital for a blood test called a “goutte épaisse”.  Within an hour I recieved a call and was notified that I had tested positive for Malaria.  So I began anti-malarial medication.

Sick

Last night two dear friends and teammates sat with me in the cool of a light rain after prayer meeting.  They empathized with me, exhorted me from the scriptures, encouraged me, and most importantly they prayed for me.  Thank you Susie and Judy.
We were able to come back to the house today.  So far, we have not seen any more snakes.  My bed and pillow were a wonderful sight for my sore eyes.  

Thankful
As I lay on my pillow today, between the throbbings in my head the Lord brought some verses to my thoughts.  

II Corithians 4:7-11
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; 10 always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body. 11 For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.
Homelessness, discouragement and sickness and whatever else may come, we are not destroyed. I knew today that my earthen vessel was weak but the surpassing greatness of the power of God was ever present and ever powerful.  I do not understand it all, but I trust that in this affliction the life of Jesus is being manifested in my mortal flesh.  When we go through difficult times, it is easy to ask, “Why am I doing this? What good is it?”  But the Father reminded me today to trust that He is working out His plan.  
I Corinthians 15:58 
58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.
No, our work is not at all in vain.  And, as an added bonus, as long as we are working here on earth, He has promised us new mercies every morning. Then at the end of our mornings, we will meet the Bright Morning Star Himself Revelation 22:16.  We will see Him face to face and we will be like Him. I John 3:2  Our promised home in heaven will be secure. Earthen vessels will be transformed into immortal  ones.  Our hearts and minds will have no room for discouragement.  The warfare of our minds will be finished. 
Looking forward to His new mercies in the morning.
Melissa 

4 comments:

  1. Melissa, just wanted to let you know that that this post has been one of God's new mercies for me this morning. After spending some time reading articles and catching up on some friends on Facebook, I was really discouraged. So many of my acquaintances, family, and friends are completely compromising the truth of Scripture. On issues like homosexual marriage, the truth of Scripture, the salvation message, the commandment to love others, etc, people who know better have given up conviction for convenience. They have an easier life than you because their disobedience has made them a non-threat to the powers of darkness. It may feel like cold comfort right now, but I hope that it eventually helps you to know that your sufferings are part of your obedience to our Father. You are opposed because you are dangerous. Here in Albertville, I think of your family every time I talk with Christian, the Vincents, and others. I am more prone to give of my time to others and to talk to and pray for the French folks here because I think often of how, beleaguered by the trials of language learning, you guys still cared for those around you. I guess I just want to let you know that you guys do more than leave a wake, which is erased by the waves of the sea; you leave a legacy. We're praying for you and wish we run over to your house with a meal or babysit your kiddos for a weekend.

    Hudson for the Shires fam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Melissa, Let introduce myself so to say. I'm Shannon the nanny's mom. Shannon shared your blog post with me. And I'm so glad she did. God bless you and keep you during this trying time. I think of the Psalm 103 Praise Lord, oh my soul ,and forget not all his benefits. From Jeremiah I have loved you with an everlasting love, I have drawn you with loving-kindness. And from Psalms 143:8 Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love for I put my trust in you. When Satan is whispering his lies, I find myself turning to the truth of God's love for me and my family. Sounds like you invest in peoples lives, which is investing in the Kingdom of God. I will be praying that you are able to take every thought captive, and strength and health will yours in abundance. Also that Satan will be bond and protection and peace will be your rest and comfort as you continue to adjust to life in Togo. Because of Him, Shawn Brigham

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw your title, I thought this was going to be about St. Patrick driving snakes out of Ireland.

    Thank you for your encouraging post. Hang in there. God is faithful. We are all praying for you. God will not forget your labor of love. Nothing of your experience will be in vain.

    I know that doesn't make unpleasant things any more enjoyable. But at least they can be endured with the anticipation of God working through them for his own sovereign purposes. May God bless you and keep you and give you a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa,
    So sad to hear you have been struggling with Malaria. Your I Corinthians verses have been my favorite for struggles - especially physical ailments for a long time. Also, we just studied Matthew 4 in my Bible study at church and noted how Satan attacked Jesus at the moment he was weakest and most vulnerable. We noted, as well, that all that Satan offered was counterfeit mockery of truth. After Jesus resisted, he was given everything - in God's time.

    May you rest in Him today. May he heal your head and clear the malaria from your body.

    Love,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete